Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Really? Best picture?

Ok, maybe it is a good movie. I haven't seen it yet. I don't plan on seeing it in the near future. But there are unwritten rules about this sort of thing. You don't give a movie like Juno a best picture nod. You nominate it for best screenplay and that's it. What gets me is that a movie like "The Royal Tenenbaums" was only even nominated for best screenplay, and it lost (Plus, how does "Juno" get a blowjob and "The Darjeeling Limited" is ignored. They hate Wes, but they love post Wes style). Sight unseen i can promise you that was a better movie than "Juno". Well, I can tell you that "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will be Blood" are way better movies. What worries me about this nomination is that the Oscars hate downer movies. They love Hollywood endings, and man, neither of the big two ended on a good note. Bad things happen to good people. So if neither of them wins, it'll either be "Atonement" or "Michael Clayton". So chances are, it will be "Atonement" with its love story and all that jazz. But viewership is going to be down, if at all existent. This may be the year where they go with the popular choice. In this article it is argued that we need to go back to picking movies that may not be the best picture, but the most popular. I know it was just a pick to give props to a movie that hit it big, but I would be so pissed if "Juno" won. It would be the end of credibility. Hell, if this happens I'm boycotting the Oscars next year. I'll watch Nick's "Teen Choice Awards" instead.

-ccmas

No comments: