Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fake America

I like Brian Williams who hosts NBC's Nightly news. But he once said something that irked me. He said something to the effect of "I've been to South Carolina a few times. There's a lot of REAL AMERICANS there."

I'm from New England, home of fake Americans. New York City (not in New England, but freakishly close) probably has more fake Americans per Capita than anyone else. (Actually, New York City has the lowest population of Illegal Immigrants per Capita than any other city. That number is about 150, 000. When you have a city of 8 million people, you can Per Capita the Shit out of anyone.)

I don't have an accent, I don't live on a farm. I'm educated. I don't think I'm better than someone who has an accent, lives on a farm or isn't educated. Why does everyone think I think that? Why do we romanticize one and demon-ize the other? We'd all love to live it simple, but simple kind of passed us by a while ago.

-cjfer-

Planet 1, home of Fake America.

No comments: