Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Incredible Sadness

All I can feel, in regards to the murders yesterday, is incredible sadness. It's a tragedy where, for me, there isn't the obvious hatred. With 9/11, there was a clear outlet for rage and anger - terrorists everywhere. We can be mad at the dead killers, but there's a finality to it. There's no one left to pursue. With terrorism, there are still terror cells. With acts of singular violence, such as yesterday, there is no one left to go after. It happens at a moment in time, and then it is over. There's no one to prosecute. I don't feel helpless, I just feel sad for the victims, and their families. It's an unmanageable situation. Now is a time for love, though it always is. Only love is stronger than death.

I think there will be some, not a lot, but some talk about gun laws in this country - but it's important to remember that the guns were obtained illegally. So, no tougher law could have prevented it. If anything, it should somehow further the discussion of gun violence in the country, and shed light on the murders that happen every day in every city. I'm not a supporter of guns, for any reason. I can't find a reason to justify it. Even in the case of hunting, it still seems wrong to me. I don't understand hunting. I don't understand that need to kill an innocent animal in the wild from hundreds of yards away. If you need to kill an animal for food, in order to survive, I understand that. But most hunters hunt for the prize of killing a less intelligent animal that can't defend itself. You want to kill a deer? Karate chop it, then we'll talk. While I don't support guns for any reason, it's important to remember that the vast vast majority of gun owners abide by the law. Just like the vast majority of Muslims aren't terrorists. Still, I don't get it. I don't get the cheap value we place on life, be it human, animal or the life of the environment.

-cjfer-

No comments: