Friday, March 9, 2007

Downright Freaky

I just had a conversation - well, I'd hardly call it that - with an automated voice machine. I called 1800-pick-ups - and a woman's voice comes over the phone. She asks you to say what you want. So i said "order supplies" to which she says, what kind of supplies, gives me options, and I tell her. Then I tell her the fax number, which she repeats back, and tells me that she'll fax me an order form.

What a world we live in where you don't even have to talk to actual people. You can talk to fake people, who are just as helpful and not belligerent.

It reminds me of a conversation when someone said that the Mcdonald's drive through window voice job was outsourced. Can you imagine talking to a guy who says his name is "Brian" in India, and telling him your order?

"Hello. This is Brian. Welcome to McDonald's, can I take your order?"
"I'd like a number 2, three number 3s, a number six...do you cheese on that...and a number 4 without cheese"
Pause
"How about you buy me a hamburger, fatboy. I'm starving here in India!"

-cjfer-

No comments: