Friday, February 9, 2007

Bringing Sexy Back

It's old news, but this is a new blog, so we can deal with it. Justin Timberlake - or "my boy, JT" as I used to call him is/was bringing sexy back. Perhaps it's already back? Is it all the way back? Well, if it's not back, it will be here soon.

So, it begs the question...where did sexy go? I'll get to that in a minute. The bigger issue is "why did sexy go?" Any thoughts? You, kid in the back who doesn't talk? Who looks curiously like me? I think we have to go back to the last time, before JT brought it back, that we had sexy. When was the last time we had sexy?

Hold on, I'm getting ahead of myself. Can we define sexy? He's bringing it back, but how are we going to know what it looks like when it comes back? It's like the second coming of Jesus...maybe Jesus is sexy? Anyway, it's the second coming of sexy. So, what is it? Sexy, as loosely defined by me, is the ability to party/have fun (usually adult fun) without feeling bad about it. Does that seem to work? It's about being hot, damn it. And that hotness apologizes to no man.

So, when, previously to now, were things last sexy? Let's go back to the waning days of the Clinton administration. Maybe even before. That was a sexy time. The economy was vibrant...and what's sexier than a healthy free market economy? My answer? Nothing. So, times were good, people were getting rich on .coms and things were looking up and up. Those were sexy times people.

What happened? Well, the .com bubble burst, the economy started a skid, Clinton left office, and bam, September 11th. That's right. September 11th took our sexy. Let me tell you this. Terrorism is not sexy. September 11th changed everything. And what it did, was to make the world, and our lives, much more serious than they were previously. Sexy was gone. Then there's a Tsunami, then hurricane Katrina. It was the death of Sexy. Case and point. The 2006 Oscars were known as the "return to glamor" Oscars. Well, this is because even Hollywood didn't feel it was right to dress up sexy while the country was at war, and while our own people were dying in New Orleans. 2006 however, seemed to signal the slightest bit of a return to sexy.

Sexy is a zombie. It's back from the dead. What JT is really saying (whether he knows it or not) is that it's time for people to party again. It's time for us to put the misery and seriousness of the last 5-6 years behind us. He's saying it's okay to have fun and not feel bad about it.

Whether you agree with it or not, it's, in my opinion, the real meaning behind the whole thing. I think we need to keep one eye on the sexy and one eye of the ball. The ball of course meaning the Geo-political climate. I don't know if it is time for sexy to come back, but a lot of people seem to think it is, and who am I to disagree? I'm just a Patsy for the man.

No comments: