Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Night Flight

Back when I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn my parents exposed me to something that changed my life: cable tv. From an early age I watched Mtv and USA Network, while they (and I) were in their infancy. There were things I saw which I didn't understand. There are things that I saw that I remembered as odd memories. Thanks to youtube I've been able to revisit these.

One such gem is "Night Flight". It was a late night show, kind of like a proto "Liquid TV". It ran in the 80s, and was really an anything goes kind of show. Devo and Frank Zappa would get a lot of air time, as well as the Church of the Subgenius. Tom Waits would get interviewed, and Ultraman would get redubbed. It was right up my alley, and really explains a whole lot about me. To give you an example of what they would do, here's probably their most recognizable clip. Remember, this was in the 80s, where doing something like this was not only edgy, but high tech.



As I find more things like that, I'll post them. Hell, someone's gotta bring the postmodern back to this little blog, right?

1 comment:

David said...

hahahaha love it. if only that was really reagan